Sunday, January 24, 2010

I can see for miles and miles...

I can admit I do have a bit of an addiction to travel - and not just to the trips themselves. I love the research, the planning and mostly the thrill of finding a great deal. On three occasions (Amsterdam, Florida and Cancun), I have flown free with my Aeroplan miles. So now that I am planning out a year of exciting travel to blog about - I am trying to figure out how I can do that at the least expense. I collect points with Aeroplan, Airmiles and Continental OnePass - and while I was investigating my balances, I discovered some exciting incentives on flight redemptions.

For one, Airmiles is offering a discount of 30% less miles to redeem if you book Air Canada flights before January 31st for travel through November 30th. If you need to top up any miles, there is a cost of $0.30 per mile plus GST. For example a short-haul flight (i.e. Chicago or New York) will only only cost you 735 miles rather than the usual 1050. Yay - New York here I come.

I am registered at Points - a website where you can track all your balances on select points programs including Aeroplan, Continental Onepass, HBC Rewards, Delta SkyMiles, Esso Extra, America Express Membership Rewards etc. Not only can you track your balances, you can also exchange your points between programs (if allowed by your program, and for a fee). It is also a destination for sharing points (with family members etc) or redeeming points for travel or merchandise.


It looks like I will have at least two free flights this year - one for New York and one to be decided. Using my Continental points will be a challenge (they don't allow swaps on Points) but I'll figure it out. In the meantime, I best start planning out the details for my next trip which begins in less than three weeks...the 2010 Olympic Games in Vancouver!

0 comments: