Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Jamaican me a very happy girl...

Some people just don't get it. I mention that I am going traveling again and they ask "why" instead of "where".

But that's fine by me. Everyone is different and I certainly don't expect that others find joy in the same things that make me happy. And I certainly don't write this blog to brag about how lucky I am (though I definitely feel very lucky) or to measure my choices against those of others. This blog is for me...and if you happen to like it, cool. If you don't, that's also cool, but you should stop reading now.

So, I am traveling again; and the answer is "Jamaica".

I left a hot and humid Toronto yesterday morning to begin my week long, solo vacation to Jamaica. My 4 hour direct flight with WestJet was moderately priced ($600 tax-in) and fairly uneventful. The WestJet crew made the trip quite fun with their comedy and singing...and even brought out free drinks for the adorable newlywed couple sitting next to me. I arrived at an equally hot and humid Montego Bay airport, found my bag (already waiting for me and pulled off the luggage carousel), located my driver and readied myself for the 2.5 hour drive to Treasure Beach.

Jake's Hotel is located in the sleepy fishing village of Treasure Beach, a somewhat remote destination on the west coast just south of the Black River. I have long wanted to visit Jake's which is often raved about in travel magazines as the coolest hotel in the Caribbean. The hotel has arranged a driver for me ($120 one way), a cool young guy named O'Neill who keeps me entertained with reggae from his iPod and points all of the key sights along the route. The road is pretty bumpy and filled with potholes. It takes some great care to navigate safely so I would definitely not recommend renting your own vehicle to make this trek. We pass a few large trucks stuck on very steep hills. There are people selling fruit, plants and fresh fish on the roadside. It rains a bit which makes the roads a bit trickier, but the air cooler which feels good from my open window. It's a long drive but was so much nicer than sitting in some resort shuttle bus and seeing nothing along the route.

Jake's is incredible - and exactly what I was expecting. I was greeted by my first name and taken to my (upgraded!) room. My room - called Cowrie 2 - is an upper level, large one bedroom dwelling. The best part - the wrought iron spiral staircase that leads you up to the amazing balcony with a view of the sea, complete with a table and chairs plus two cozy muskoka chairs. Inside the big bedroom area there is a large white bed with that features a romantic looking mosquito netting. There is a fridge filled with cold water, candles, a stereo, books (good books even) and a personalized welcome note from the Jake's family. The bathroom is large with a huge mosaic tiled shower and a separate dressing area. All this for little old me? Wow. 

After a bit of a rest in my luxury digs, I decided to head to the pool area to read, sip a cold Red Stripe, watch an incredible sunset and grab some dinner (delicious pumpkin soup, jerk tenderloin and chocolate chip ice-cream for dessert). I'm not sure the night could have been any better. Well...it's always better to share it with someone else, but I guess that's what this blog is for.

Till tomorrow...













































0 comments: