Saturday, August 21, 2010

Super Cool























I'm not really one for taking tours but I couldn't leave Treasure Beach without a visit to one particular local attraction: The Pelican Bar.

The Pelican Bar could quite possibly be the coolest place I have ever been. Set about a kilometre at sea on a sand bar, Pelican Bar is a shack on stilts made up of driftwood that serves cold drinks and fresh seafood. The staff at Jake's makes arrangements for a local - Captain Dennis - to shuttle me in his boat ($75) for a beer and a tour of the coastline. I am told to meet Dennis "down the beach and past the tree". Sure enough, I find him there wearing a shirt that says "Captain Dennis".

My ride is fittingly called "Super Cool". Dennis is a fantastic guy who points out all the highlights as we pass the pristine, untouched coastline and even spots (to my huge delight) a playful dolphin who follows us for almost the entire 25 minute boat ride to the bar.

The bar is even cooler than expected and is a real marvel of engineering. Apparently, it even remained untouched  by the last hurricane while nearby coastal homes were destroyed. The boys are just setting up shop when we arrive but the beer is cold and that is all that matters. The inside is decorated with flags from all over the world and there are two from Canada. I purchase a heart-shaped wooden sculpture from Andrae who carves his name in the back. I have a second beer, a good chat with Dennis and a married couple from Chicago, a quick dip in the warm, shallow waters and then we are back in the boat. Super Cool! While we don't see any more dolphins, we see plenty of swooping pelicans and a huge jumping tarpon. I bid Dennis farewell with a big hug and thank him for an awesome day and then hit Jack Sprat's for lunch.





































































































Jack Sprat's is a restaurant owned by Jake's that is located just down the beach (before the tree). It's a very cool place with fresh seafood and pizza - which is what they seem to be famous for. I order the jerk sausage pizza (a half pie) along with a cold bottle of coke ($10 total) and it is to die for. Sigh. Life is super cool.

I spent the rest of the afternoon sunning and swimming and enjoyed a late dinner at Jake's - jerk chicken with rice and peas and coconut ice-cream (by far the best of some really good homemade ice-cream this week). I had picked up a DVD copy of The Harder They Come at the Jack Sprat gift-shop and decided to give it a watch on my lap-top. The movie is closely tied to Jake's as it's founder - Perry Henzell - is the writer / director / producer of this cult favourite from 1973.

Sadly, my time at Jake's is coming to an end as I make my way to Negril. More from the Rockhouse tomorrow...

0 comments: