Sunday, December 11, 2011

Paris Halloween

After an overnight in London at the myHotel, I made my way to St-Pancras Station to catch the Eurostar to Paris. Yes, Paris - my absolute favourite city in the world.

I splurged a little and sat in first class, enjoying some wine and making new friends. Robert, my seat mate, was also headed to Paris for the weekend to visit some friends. It was nice to have a chat through the scenic two hour train ride, and we made plans to meet for dinner later that night.

After arriving in Paris and taking a quick taxi to my hotel, I was pleased to just relax in my room after the long journey from India. My hotel - Mama Shelter in the 20th - was perfect! A tiny but functional room with black walls, a fluffy white bed and funky lamps made of superhero masks. I watched a bit of TV before making my way on foot to meet Robert at Bofinger - a famous brasserie in the Marais. I arrived early and charmed my way into a great table at the front of the restaurant. Robert ordered a nice bottle of wine and spoke perfect French while I fought my jet-lag tooth and nail. It was nice to have a night out in Paris but sleep was calling my name so I called it an early night and bid au revoir to my new friend.

I started my second day with a walk back to the Marais to have a lovely breakfast at Cafe de Paris overlooking the beautiful Place des Vosges, one of my absolute favourite spots in Paris. From there, I made my way on foot past Notre Dame and the booksellers by the Seine to the Louvre. And from there, through the Jardins de Tuileries and up the Champs Elysées to the Arc de Triomphe. Then over to Trocadero. All that walking for just one perfect glimpse of the Eiffel Tower.

That night I ordered in pizza from the hotel restaurant (amazing!) and headed to the local laundromat to clean my clothes for my up-coming trip to Russia.

I woke up early on my third day - which just happened to be Halloween. To celebrate, I decided to take a short walk to Cimetiere Pere Lachaise to visit with the Ghosts of Paris Past. A beautiful and haunting place, Pere Lachaise is filled with cobblestone lanes, crumbling statues, weeping trees and lots of shadows. I easily spotted the very famous grave of Jim Morrison, as there were a few tourist parked out front taking photos. His marker is covered in lipstick kisses, graffiti and wilted roses. The tree beside his grave is also covered in carvings and paint and is very cool to look at it. But it was cold, and I had to keep moving so I wandered around the Canal St.Martin area to take photos before of the beautiful bridges before heading back to the hotel to pack for Russia. Despite the fact I'd be coming back to Paris once more, in just another week, it is always sad to leave. But...a new adventure was awaiting me in Russia!









0 comments: