Saturday, December 3, 2011

Jodhpur the Blue

I have never felt farther from home than in Jodhpur, India.
And, although I loved all of my time in India, Jodhpur has a special place in my heart. The romantic in me loved its blue facade that looked so beautiful under the setting sun, and the almost full moon that hung in the sky just beside the incredible fortress of rock that keeps watch over the city. Every street was like a movie set - perfectly lit, props and extras in place and painted walls perfectly chipped. The old part of the city had streets so narrow (and filled with cows) they are not even accessible by car.
We started our visit with an afternoon at the spectacular Mehrangarh Fort perched 400 feet up overlooking the blue painted homes of the city. Although the colour is certainly striking, it is actually said that the blue paint serves to keep the mosquitos away. We did a self-guided audio tour which was really incredible as we moved at our own pace through each intricately decorated room in the fort which is made up of multiple palaces. As this was my first visit to a cultural site in India, I was truly overwhelmed by what I saw. Some of my favourite photos of my entire trip were taken here, including this one - a man who was sitting in the fort and offered me some opium to smell.






Towards the end of the tour, a few of us came across a fortune teller who read our palms in his little office. He used geometry equipment - a protractor, a small ruler and a compass - to tell my future...in between not-so-secretly snapping photos of me on his cell phone.








After our visit to the Mehrangahr Fort, we made our way to an amazing little hotel in the centre of old Jodhpur. It was perfect! Something right out of a movie set with quirky, exotic decor (a swing hanging in the lounge) and a beautiful rooftop deck where we drank cold beer, listened to music and watched the sun go down. For dinner we ventured into the busy main drag for good local food (I got the vegetarian Thali platter) and some delicious ice-cream. Afterward - more beer on the roof under that big, beautiful moon.







0 comments: