Monday, November 22, 2010

Kanchanaburi

Our time in Kanchanaburi was mostly spent working. After a long, hot day in the sun (and with some major jet-lag settling in) it was a challenge just to stay awake long enough to have some dinner. And although I had good intentions, I was never even once able to stay up and enjoy a cold beer after work. Incredible, I know.

As Kanchanaburi is fairly remote, our accommodations were perfectly suitable but certainly less glam than some of the other hotels I have been lucky enough to stay at on business. The hotel staff were lovely (pretty much like every other Thai person I have ever met) and the food was delicious (when I wasn’t too tired to eat it). Real Thai food – not the kind you get at Spring Rolls at Fairview Mall (though I do like me some Spring Rolls). My room was large with a beautiful Thai style platform bed. The bed was so big that I alternated sides each night. The downside? Little-to-no hot water and tiny, little black beetles all over the floor. Like, hundreds of them. However, in my very zen state of jet-lag and exhaustion, I was able to block out the bugs, focus on the amazing bed and make the best of my stay.

To say it was hot was an understatement but every time I would get even remotely close to complaining, I would remind myself of the cold at home and power through.

I was lucky enough to spend my days in the jungle, on the banks of the River Kwai with some beautiful, ancient trees looming above. The history of this location was not lost on me as I spent November 11th – Remembrance Day – here and proudly wore my poppy.

Some other highlights?
I was introduced to some amazing elephants that let me sit on their tusks and lifted me high in the air. I also visited a tiger temple which was presided over by an Abbott, a Bhuddist Monk who presented me with both a souvenir calendar as well as a tiger tooth necklace (which is meant to protect those who wear it).

And protect me it did. After a long week, we made our two hour journey back to the big city of Bangkok for the rest of our crazy adventure…


0 comments: