Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Bangkok Weekend...

After a busy week, it was nice to be able to get out and see a bit of Bangkok. Our hotel location afforded us great proximity to some of the best shopping in the city...which is either a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it.

I set out with my new friends, both conveniently named Karen, and we took the Metro over to the shopping area. It was only one stop (and it would have been a short walk) but it was awesome to see their amazingly modern and clean transit system. It puts the TTC to shame. Once there, we realized the mall was not yet open but a friendly stranger decided to point us in the direction of a gem market. Turns out this random act of kindness was not actually random at all as locales are rewarded for sending tourists to gem markets and tailors. Regardless, the gem market was a success. After some bartering, Karen and I each left with a beautiful ring - mine a sparkly 2.5 karat Peridot (my birthstone) in a beautiful, simple gold setting.We hit the mall afterwards for some shopping (new, handmade leather shoes), lunch and a pedicure. We then made our way home via tuk-tuk. I could try and explain what a tuk-tuk is but I think it is better explained by this video. Our driver was extremely strange...waving at people and repeatedly saying "ladyboy" in a high pitched voice.  Check it out:



That evening we celebrated a very successful week of work with a nice dinner at Thang Long, an a-m-a-z-i-n-g Vietnamese restaurant just down the street from our hotel. Mmmmm! This was followed up by some cocktails and live music at Brown Sugar, a really cool jazz bar owned by a member of the Bangkok crew.







































Sunday was a lazy day. It had nothing to do with the mojitos, I swear.
Despite wanting to lie around all day, I went for a walk to take in the sights of Bangkok for what would be my only real day off in the city. The nearby Erawan Shrine was an amazing spot to take some photos of the beautiful yellow flowers, golden elephants along with Thai dancers and musicians. I did a bit of shopping and lots and lots of walking – so much that I decided to treat my aching feet to a Thai massage. So for approximately $8 (250 Baht) I got the most amazing one-hour, full body massage of my life. I was brought to a curtained off room and given some pajamas to put on. For the next hour I was contorted, pushed, pulled, rubbed and climbed on. This was followed up with a cup of tea before I floated back to my hotel, and readied myself for another busy week.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am checking this blog using the phone and this appears to be kind of odd. Thought you'd wish to know. This is a great write-up nevertheless, did not mess that up.

- David