Friday, May 6, 2011

Winterpeg

It was only fair. After some pretty exotic business travel, I was due for a good dose of reality.

It's been a while since I have posted any of my travel stories so I have lots to catch up on. Starting with my February business trip to Winnipeg. Or, as it is lovingly known as in warmer parts of Canada, Winterpeg. It had already been a cold, long winter in Toronto when I packed up my warmest boots (good for up to -30C) for a week of business that would involve some long days outdoors in cold, snowy and windy conditions. But, as cold as it was, I actually really enjoyed my trip. Not just because of the fabulous people I met while I was there...but the great restaurants, cool, old buildings and amazing vintage shops I came across when I had some time to wander around downtown. I even spent 4 long, cold hours outside in a full-on blizzard...and still managed to have an awesome time. The weather was treacherous but, at the same time, it wasn't so bad. As everyone there says (often): it's a dry cold.

My hotel, The Fairmont Winnipeg, (located right at the corner of  the famous Portage and Main) had the most fabulous staff who would go out of their way to make sure your visit to their city was great. On several occasions the friendly door staff drove me and my friends around the city in the house car (a shiny Mercedes). Rod, our breakfast waiter, was especially nice and our waitress in the bar would draw us maps to some of her favorite local restaurants. Also a bonus - the rooftop pool, hot tub and steam room, a wonderful thing to come home to after a day outside in the cold. Secondly, the Exchange District, just a short walk from the hotel, is full of old buildings, faded murals, vintage shops and art galleries. I would highly recommend a trip to Peasant Cookery for an amazing dinner.

Winnipeg - I will be back! (But most likely in warmer weather.)




































0 comments: