Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Lost in Translation

I was supposed to spend my Sunday taking a train to visit a traditional Japanese village just outside of Tokyo...but...I woke up and felt like I needed a rest. I decided instead to treat myself to a relaxing day of lunch (an amazing 6 course Italian meal), another walk around Harajuku and a visit to a hair salon (the stylist, who spoke no English,  was very excited to work on my long blonde hair). That night, I decided I would treat myself to one last luxury - drinks at the American Bar at the Park Hyatt. A gorgeous hotel, the Park Hyatt Tokyo is most famous for it's starring role in Sofia Coppola's film Lost in Translation. As a lover of hotels, I had actually hoped to stay there but did not make my booking in time to take advantage of a decent enough rate. The hotel lived up to it's reputation with impeccable service and an almost serene vibe. I parked myself close to the jazz musicians and a beautiful view of Tokyo from the 52nd floor, sampling three delicious champagne cocktails and an amazing cheese platter.  The pretty-much-perfect end to an already perfect day.






































On my last day, it was raining but I made my way out to do a bit of shopping (super cute new boots) before my bus to the airport. Unfortunately, my flight was delayed for 2 hours, giving me a whole 5 hours to kill in the airport. I promptly booked myself a massage at the spa inside my terminal. It was no Thai massage but it hit the spot for a fairly decent price. When I finally flew out of Tokyo, the sun was just starting the set and the city looked really beautiful. I wish I had the time to see even more of Japan...but. fingers crossed, I'll be back again soon.
Japan in the spring, anyone?

0 comments: