Thursday, January 27, 2011

Cozu-mellowing out...

At the beginning of 2010, I set a hugely aggressive goal of traveling ten times in the year. I thought I'd get close...but I had no idea I would actually surpass my goal. My Christmas vacation to Cozumel, Mexico was trip number 11.


My family - myself, my parents and two of my three brothers - decided to get away from the cold over the holidays and booked an amazing, last-minute deal to a resort in Cozumel, Mexico. Cozumel is an island just off the coast of Playa del Carmen, which is just south of Cancun. The island itself is quite small and underdeveloped but we were able to fly directly into it's airport. You can also access the island by a 40 minute ferry ride from Playa del Carmen. Known for it's beautiful reefs, Cozumel is a diver's destination - the beaches are a bit rocky and arid  and but the snorkeling and scuba is terrific. There are a few major resorts on the island, and we were happy to be staying at the Wyndham Cozumel. Our hotel was decent - on a good stretch of beach, great food, nice rooms - but it was even better after we were upgraded on our 3rd day to the "Sabor" section of the hotel. The Sabor section included a la carte meals, hammocks and water-slides running from the rooms to the pool.



















While I am very used to traveling over Christmas (and not at all sad to leave the snow), it was very unique to spend it in Mexico. The resort did a great job keeping things festive - decorating the resort, creating special holiday meals and even having Santa para-sail, then jet-ski to the beach and distribute gifts on Christmas day. And, we even enjoyed a nice Christmas dinner complete with our waiter, "Jesus", ironically wearing a full-on Santa suit. Christmas dinner served by Jesus himself. It doesn't get much better than that.





































My brother, Matthew, and I did a snorkeling tour ($40 US / person) which took us out in a glass bottom bottom to three different reefs over 2 hours. The snorkeling was really good and I was happy to have my water-proof camera, even though the camera doesn't really capture the colours very well.





































I also made sure that I left the resort and saw a little bit more of the island before I left. A walk just down the beach yielded a 30 minute massage for $15. Score.  I also headed into the little town of San Miguel. A cab cost me $20 US one-way and I was dropped off at town square where I shopped for a bit and then enjoyed happy hour - 2 strawberry margaritas, beef tacos, guacamole - plus a serenade from a guitarist.


It was a lovely getaway...but felt too short. I was tempted to stay longer but lots of important work was waiting for me back in Toronto. However, as soon as the work was over I would be making my way back to Mexico again (Cabo this time) in less than a month...but that story is for my next post.


0 comments: