Sunday, November 27, 2011

London Calling

By the time I arrived in London, my jet-lag had finally set in and I wasn't in the mood to fight it. After taking a very expensive taxi ride, I arrived at my hotel in Soho just after 10pm. My hotel - Hazlitt's - is a charming historical townhouse in the very heart of Soho on Frith Street. I was shown to my room through a maze of corridors and stairwells and was delighted when I reached my room - Sir William Ross. (They use names not numbers for their rooms.) The room itself was very cute with a huge wooden wardrobe and matching headboard, red velvet drapes, fireplace and claw foot tub. Like something from the set of some period costume drama. The most interesting part was that the floor was not level. And when I say not level, I mean it had about a difference of about 1 foot in height between my headboard and the desk on the opposite wall. I exaggerate, not. It was hard not to feel just a little drunk the entire time I was in the room. During this short visit to London I managed to cover quite a bit of territory - the National Gallery, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, St. James Park - and enjoy quite a few decent (but pricey) meals.




On my last night, I met up with some friends who live in London for some dinner and then went out to see their band - TAT - perform at a rock club called Scala. They are an awesome band to see live. If you haven't heard of them, you must check them out. I stayed out way, way too late which made for a very lazy day before my overnight flight to Delhi. Good thing I caught a few winks on the plane because India was about to shake up my world.

0 comments: