Friday, October 7, 2011

The Big Trip

The weeks leading up to my "big trip" (as I like to call it) were incredibly busy, emotionally taxing and stressful to say the least. While I had hoped to be my usually organized self, things did not go as planned and I left in a bit of a flurry. It wasn't what I wanted, but perhaps it was a taste of what might come my way eventually. I will no doubt encounter more than a few hiccups over the next six weeks so I might as well get used to winging it now.
In truth one of my biggest obstacles had been solving the problem of how and what to pack. I decided from the on-set not to travel with a back-pack. In my mind I am too old, too sophisticated (hah)...and truthfully, just too lazy to haul everything around on my person. I am the kind of girl who prefers a small purse, or none at all, because even the thought of digging through it to find my keys gives me a massive headache. So, no back-pack for me. But how does one fit six weeks worth of clothing good for two diverse climates into a 20" carry-on size suitcase? For one, it requires some careful wardrobe planning - durable staples that can be layered, a waterproof light-weight but warm jacket and comfortable shoes. It certainly wasn't easy but after a few suitcase edits I still managed to pack five pairs of shoes. It may look like a small suitcase but it's amazing what can fit. Just like Mary Poppins' carpet bag. So after finally yanking the zipper closed, I made my way to YYZ (Thanks Lynds), checked my bag (an amazing 14 kg) and readied myself for the first stop on my adventure - Reykjavik, Iceland.

0 comments: