Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Only the ocean and me...

Because I had wheels, I was able to explore a few of the the excellent beaches in St.Barths. Most of the ones I did visit, I had almost completely to myself...

Only a one minute walk from my hotel, Anse de Lorient is a surfer's beach with rolling waves and powdery sand. With no beach clubs or chair rentals, the beach seems quiet...but not too quiet. It's also a short walk to a mini-mart and grocery that sells prepared cheese plates, baguette, fruit, sandwiches, and cold beer and wine. There are two small snack-bar style restaurants close by - Bouchon and Jojo Burger.



Anse de Grand Saline is a stunning, pristine, seemingly secluded beach. Reachable by a 10 minute winding path shaded by trees followed by a rocky climb, it's totally worth the walk. I was literally the only person on the long stretch of beach at one point. There is nothing at this beach so it is absolutely necessary to bring some water and snacks. Although, there are a few restaurants (recommended by my guide book) just near the parking area.



Baie de St-Jean is the most famous beach on St.Barths and is where the jet-setting, special people get away from their yachts to play in the sand. This powdery, calm stretch of beach I visited is flanked by the posh Hotel Eden Roc and the Nikki Beach Club - the very famous celebrity party spot.






































I could never pick a favourite but Saline does get top marks as I actually visited there twice during my short stay. There are nearly 20 different beaches on this tiny island, all of which are open to the public - which definitely means I will still have a lot to see when I return again someday soon.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

very interesting, thanks